At Frederick Gent School, we take the development of students literacy extremely seriously. All of our staff are trained and supported to be teachers of literacy. We know from research that students that leave school without good literacy skills are held back at every stage of their life. Developing students literacy is a priority to meet our mission of enhancing students life choices and enabling them to make a positive contribution to the world we share.
All The Two Counties Trust schools are working on embedding five key strategies to embed literacy across the curriculum, these are:
- Implementing a Trust-wide word of the week strategy.
- Resourcing, tracking and monitoring teacher (fiction) recommendations to students.
- Resourcing, tracking and monitoring fiction reading lists for each year group.
- Structuring talk/oracy expectations , e.g. speaking in full sentences.
- Embedding Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary across all subjects.