At Frederick Gent School, we take the development of students literacy extremely seriously. All of our staff are trained and supported to be teachers of literacy. We seek to provide a broad coherent satisfying worthwhile study of literacy. Developing students’ literacy is a priority to meet our mission of enhancing student’s life choices and enabling them to make a positive contribution to the world we share.
All The Two Counties Trust schools are working on embedding five key strategies to embed literacy across the curriculum, these are:
- Implementing a Trust-wide word of the week strategy.
- Resourcing, tracking and monitoring teacher (fiction) recommendations to students.
- Resourcing, tracking and monitoring fiction reading lists for each year group.
- Structuring talk/oracy expectations , e.g. speaking in full sentences.
- Embedding Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary across all subjects.